Randy Seaver's Geneamusing's Challenge
1. My target? Well, I decided upon the census entry for my Aunt Helen (1899-1988), who married first, Russell Von Clausburg (1896-1940), and second, John L. Preston (1904-1997). Helen lived in Chillicothe, Ohio at 1940, and she loved history and genealogy.
2. Street address. Helen's first husband died 14 April 1940. According to his death certificate, Russell died of unknown causes, he "fell dead on the street." I went in search of a census entry, using the residence address given for Russell on his Ohio Death Certificate.
3. (Skipped this.)
4. I entered the relevant state/county and city information to Steve Morse' Unified 1940 Census ED Finder. I used the map available from Morse' site to locate cross-streets; entered what I believed to be a proper set of cross-streets. Morse' tool provided me an ED result of 71-31, which Ancestry.com describes as ...
5. "SCIOTO TOWNSHIP, CHILLICOTHE CITY WARD 3 BOUNDED BY (N) MAIN; (E) HICKORY; (S) 7TH; (W) PAINT."
6. I located Helen and Russell on page 5 (of 36) in Ancestry.com's free 1940 census images. And .... my oh my--the census was taken on 5 April 1940--just nine days before Russell's death.